Saturday, October 19, 2013

Gender Roles

Hey Hey, 
     This week has been kinda crazy so this is just a quick little blurt about gender roles and how important they are. I wish I had more time but i just don't. I will try to post a little more about this topic sometime next week. Sorry, hope it is still interesting and insightful. 
     Men and women are equally important, they deserve the same rights, but they are not the same. Women have their own qualities and so do men. We are different emotionally, physically, and socially. These differences are not a bad thing at all. We do not have to be the best at absolutely everything. We are suppose to be different and those that try to make men and women equal are demeaning what it means to be a women or a man. The video that we watched for Monday's class really made me mad. Especially the part about the firefighters. They talked about how they should make tests to be a firefighter easier for women. All I could think was why in the world would you do that! If I am in a burning building and a firefighter has to pull me out, but she doesn't have the strength she needs to do it, that's a huge problem. I like that they are strict about the tests. I don't want to be left wondering if I am going to die or not in a burning building. I want to know I have the best they can offer, and the best chance of surviving.  Yes give women the opportunity but if they want to so badly be like men they have to work at the same level. That was just one thing that really bothered me. 
     As a woman I think it is offensive that other women want to be so much like men. Why? Not that men aren't wonderful, but if you are a woman then embrace how wonderful that is. We are blessed to be able to understand people on so many levels. We are great conversationalists.We are great at all of our relationships with lots of different people. We are nurturing and loving. What is wrong with that? It doesn't make us weak or unimportant. I think that all those things are crazy important. To be able to connect with all sorts of people is such an uncomprehendable gift. 
     I guess my overall point is that both men and women are important. We are suppose to work together with our God given gifts to make a difference. We are equal but different, and that is not a bad thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment