Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hi Everybody!
This week we talked about dating and preparing for marriage!
        I have a ton of homework this week which is prohibiting me from writing as much as I would like to. But I will try to give a quick over view of what we talked about and hopefully will do it a little justice.
        We talked about love and tried to define it.  There was one definition in our reading that I really like it says:
"I define love thus: The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another's spiritual growth." - M Scott Peck
        Then talked about 4 different types of love.
Agape- Not based on feelings. 
Storge- Parent to child love.
Eros- Romantic, sexual, and passionate.
Phillia- Closeness, friendly, or brotherly love.

         We talked about how we really should have all of these different kinds of love for our spouses. each is important to making a marriage work. I personally would want all of these different kinds of love in my marriage. I think each has a place and a purpose.
        My favorite part of this week was when we talked about the parallels of dating and marriage. A real date consists of three things.
-Planned
-Paid For
-Paired Off
Those three things can be related to the three roles that a husband, according to the family: a proclamation to the world, should have.
-Preside
-Provide
-Protect
        I don't know why I love this part of the week so much. I guess that it just proves that you are suppose to be looking for things that your date does that would roll over into marriage as a spouse. It was just really interesting to me. And I have been thinking about it a lot. It is just one of those thing I love to ponder on.I am really out of time this week. I hope that this made you think. again if you have questions, comment, thoughts, don't be afraid to comment. Thanks!
     

2 comments:

  1. We know how important intentional dating and courtship truly are yet we are often expected to simply "hang out." What are some potential dangers to "hanging out" as opposed to dating? Why do you think each aspect of love is necessary in happy marriages? I also love the "3 P's of Dating" as they can be great indicators of future behavior! One of my favorite quotes about behavior is often quoted by Brother Williams, "The best indicator of future behavior is current behavior!" How is this quote applicable to the dating and courting process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The potential danger of hang out as opposed to dating is the relationship that you get out of it. When you are on real date you get to know the person. You become closer and are able to actually create a relationship based on knowledge of that person. You develop some of these types of loves that I talked about. If you are just hanging out I don't think that you get to know that persons personality or characteristics as much. You scratch the surface instead of really learning why that person is the way that they are.
      I think that each love covers a different aspect needed in a marriage. Agape is needed to gain a true caring for another person. I feel this love is selfless, you don't really get anything from it. Storage is a care for the persons well being overall. It is truly wanting the very best for that other person. Eros Is needed for the intimacy that all human beings need. This love brings us together in a spiritual way. (see my post "Martial (Physical) intimacy"). Phillia is being their friend. I have been told my whole life that I need to marry my best friend; someone that I really enjoy being with.
      As for the behavior thing, the way that you date is the way that you will be married. If that makes sense. The way you act while you are dating, the behaviors that you have established, will be the way you act and the behaviors you have in your marriage.
      Thank so much for your questions! I hope that my answers clarified my original post.

      Delete