Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Proclamation Series: Happiness in Family Life

This post focuses on the sixth and seventh paragraph of The Family: A Proclamation to the World.


"HUSBAND AND WIFE have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."

I have already covered some of what is spoken about about in previous posts.  So, for this post I want to talk about something, that I believe, every parents struggles with at least a little.  And that is, one, or more, of your children making bad choices and going down wrong paths. This can be a very sensitive subject and I would never tell you what you could do for your kids or how to parent. I think each kid needs a different parenting style because no two kids are the same. But I do believe there is a universal law of parenting and I highlighted it above. That's right Love! And not just any kind of love, Unconditional Love! 
I can not stress how important this is to not only children but every single one of your family members. A brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, spouse, daughter, brother; ALL of them need unconditional love and they need it from YOU. It doesn't mater what a person has done they need your love and help every step of the way. This doesn't mean that you have to accept their behavior that you don't agree with, but you have to love them. I can love a baby who pukes on me when I am burping it. Does that me I love that it puked on me? No! but I love that baby no matter what. I think that we lose that unconditional love as that baby gets older and does even more things we don't love. 
My parents have been a great example of unconditional love in my life. I have watched them struggle over and over with the decisions of my brothers and myself over the years.  And let me tell you there have been some tough times with all three of us. But never once did I feel like they didn't love every single one of their children. They never spoke wrongly about any of us and never made us feel like we were any less their children.  I remember My mother telling me a few years back that no matter what we have done we are still her babies. 
But the thing that I really admire about my parents is that never once did they let their standards and beliefs slip. They never bent the rules for us. We knew where Mom and Dad stood on everything, and knew when they didn't agree with our actions. Parenting is a fine line between structure and love. 
Thanks for reading! Comment below if you have anything to add or if you have questions for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment